PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that a Providence man was sentenced today in Providence County Superior Court to serve 15 years at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) on firearms charges after violating the terms of his probation from a previous firearms conviction. 

 

Russell Cartagena (age 38), pleaded nolo contendere to one count of possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a crime of violence and one count of possession of a firearm without a license.

 

Providence Man Sentenced to Serve 15 Years at the ACI on Firearms Charges

 

At today’s hearing, Providence County Superior Court Magistrate Richard Raspallo sentenced Cartagena to 20 years at the ACI with 15 years to serve and the balance of the sentence suspended with probation.

 

At the time of his arrest, Cartagena was on probation after having been convicted of a carrying a pistol without a license and assault with a dangerous weapon in 2012.

 

“Rhode Islanders are well aware of the rising tide of gun violence in recent months. That violence is driven by criminals like the defendant here, who time after time possess firearms and are prepared to use them,” said Attorney General Neronha. “This defendant has now paid a heavy price, one entirely justified by his repeated gun crimes. The Central Falls police did a fine job on this case, and I am grateful for their efforts.”

 

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove beyond reasonable doubt that during the evening of June 28, 2020, Central Falls police officers seized a loaded semi-automatic pistol and ammunition from Cartagena’s vehicle.

 

That evening, Central Falls police officers stopped Cartagena for running a stop sign while driving in a Toyota Avalon on Summit Street. Officers later searched the vehicle, which was registered to Cartagena, and found a loaded .25 caliber semiautomatic handgun with additional magazines and bullets.

 

Sergeant Phil Garland and Officer Joseph Decristoforo of the Central Falls Police Department led the investigation. Assistant Attorney General Joseph McBurney prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of the Attorney General.

 

President Biden will be getting his coronavirus booster shot today. The White House announced Biden will get it "in line with the CDC's and FDA's recommendations." Those over 65 who have received two Pfizer shots are eligible for the boosters, along with other high risk populations.       The CDC is releasing several studies showing that enforcing mask-wearing in schools helps reduce the spread of COVID-19. One of the studies, which looked at one-thousand schools nationwide, showed 113 of the 191 COVID outbreaks that occurred between mid-July through August were in schools that did not enforce mask mandates. It's a hot button issue in several states including Texas, Florida and Arizona, which have tried to bar school districts from enforcing mask policies.       The man who shot President Ronald Reagan 40 years ago is winning back his eventual freedom. A judge approved John Hinckley's unconditional release next year. It's scheduled to happen in June, but he'll continue to be monitored until then.       The Senate will take a big test vote later today on extending government funding and the debt limit. Sixty votes are needed to move the measure forward and Republicans are threatening to withhold support. Meantime, the Treasury Department has warned the U.S. could default on its debt obligations next month without a hike or extension of the federal debt limit.       The FBI is now in charge of looking for Gabby Petito's fiance. A North Port, Florida, Police spokesman told Fox News the search for Brian Laundrie will be "scaled back" as the federal agency takes over. The search for Laundrie has centered around the vast Carlton Reserve after Petito was found dead in Wyoming earlier this month.       Beyond Meat is set to launch a line of meatless chicken tenders nationwide. The alternative meat maker announced its newest meat-free product will be hitting stores in October. The meatless chicken tenders will be available at select Walmart and Giant Foods locations next month.