ACLU OF RI RESPONSE TO CITY’S NEWS CONFERENCE ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF FLOCK SAFETY CAMERAS IN PROVIDENCE 

July 27, 2022 

 

The ACLU of Rhode Island issued the following statement in response to this morning’s news conference by the Providence Mayor and Police Department announcing their intention to turn on 25 Flock Safety cameras throughout the City within the next 30 days. 

 

“While purporting to promote ‘transparency and accountability,’ the Providence Police Department is moving ahead with the implementation of an incredibly invasive surveillance camera system even though a majority of City Council members have signed on to a City Council resolution urging its delay. City officials are moving ahead with this surveillance system without the benefit of any public hearings, instead offering to consider holding one only after the cameras are already being used. And their alleged support for accountability rings even more hollow in light of their opposition to the passage of any ordinance that would restrict the ways in which this surveillance technology can be used or that would establish enforceable penalties for its misuse.

 

“As the manufacturers of this technology regularly tout more, and more expansive, ways of tracking people and their vehicles with this equipment, the dangers to fundamental privacy rights simply cannot be brushed away. Further, one need only look at the many highly publicized incidents where Providence police officers have been found, against departmental policy, not to have activated their body cameras to recognize that promises of ‘audits’ and assurances that the Flock Safety technology will not be abused are meaningless.

 

“In short, the way this technology is being deployed by Providence undercuts transparency and accountability. Such a grossly unregulated and deeply intrusive police surveillance system should be of concern to all who value privacy.”

 

More information on the ACLU of RI’s concerns about the technology, including the testimony submitted on the police department’s proposed policy, can be found here

 

The White House is rejecting calls from some Republicans to defund the FBI. White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates told CNN on Wednesday that President Biden rejects defunding the police and other law enforcement agencies, including the FBI.        A federal judge is expected to decide today whether to unseal the affidavit used to carry out a search warrant on former President Donald Trump's Florida home. Trump has called for the documents' immediate release. But the Justice Department says doing so would compromise the ongoing criminal investigation into Trump allegedly taking classified materials from the White House.        The suspect in the killings of at least two Muslim men in New Mexico will remain in jail until his trial. A Second Judicial District Court judge ruled Wednesday that releasing Muhammad Syed would pose a risk to the public. Syed is charged with murder in the July and August killings of two Muslim men and is the primary suspect in two other murders.        A Texas school district has pulled more than 40 books, including the Bible, from its library and classrooms. The Keller Independent School District, north of Fort Worth, has removed 42 books that were challenged by parents and community members during the last school year. The district says the books are being reviewed under a new school board policy approved last week.        Police in Auckland, New Zealand say human remains that were in suitcases a family bought as part of a storage unit auction last week are those of two children. Inspectors told reporters today that the children were between the ages of five and ten years old and that the suitcases had been in storage for three to four years.        A critically-injured Little League World Series player is getting a big assist from his favorite Major League ballplayer. Easton Oliverson of Utah's Snow Canyon Little League has a fractured skull after falling from a bunk bed in his sleep at the players' dormitory in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Dodgers star Mookie Betts sent the 12-year-old a supportive video through Instagram on Wednesday.